Matt and Lizzies trip

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Huacacina and Ica

We were in Huacacina, a lovely desert oasis town just outside Ica (which is on the map). It has the highest sand dunes in the world, and the worst internet crash so far (I thought it was me having too many windows, it turns out its the entire cafe, and the entire town as well. Oh well, they say writing gets better with a second draft).

There´s not a lot to say really, gorgeous scenery, cheap, laid back town of about 200 people, dune buggy rides up and down the sand dunes and lots of sandboarding. Except we just spent the time wandering up the sand dunes for sunset (great fun running down a 60´sloped dune), lounging by the pool and generally chilling out.

I think I´ve just about got my head round Peru. In Bolivia, the sheer anger and surliness puts you on your toes. In Peru, the constant touting and badgering is a hassle, I think I was looking at it with the same paranoia reserved for Bolivia which was driving me a little mad. Its all the fault of America, of course. Too many gringos coming down here for 2 weeks, with 1000$ to spend, quite happy to go on 30-40$ tours a day. In Argentina you could just hire a bike and set out, in Peru, you´ll have no bike shop, just 20 touts offering special deals with a minibus.

Took a taxi collectivo from Nazca to Ica - great Dukes of Hazard style car, shame they crammed 5 people onto the back seat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home